EvE Online - a world, a home, amongst the stars. These are the voyages of an EvE 'noob' from day one. I hope we have an enjoyable trip...

Saturday 15 January 2011

Eve Blog Banter #24 - Who are you?

  Welcome to the twenty-fourth installment of the EVE Blog Banter, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week or so to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed to crazykinux@gmail.com. Check for other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!

This month's Banter topic comes to us from the ever helpful Eelis Kiy, capsuleer behind the "Where the frack is my ship" blog. She asks: How does your real life personality compare to who you are as a character in EVE? Does a good leader of people in the real world make a good leader of pilots in game? Or vice-versa? Do your real-life skills help you with the roles you fulfill in your corporation or alliance? Or do you behave completely differently? Does the anonymity of the Internet allow you to thrive on the tears of others in New Eden whilst you work as a good Samaritan away from your keyboard? Or are you as mean outside of your pod as you are inside it? Have experiences in EVE Online affected your behavior, skills or attitudes outside of the game?



So - where to begin.

After the first few days I wanted to be a pirate - I really did.  I even started a Mim alt to begin the training.  It's just that I couldn't do it.  I flew into low sec - there were some targets I could have locked but just couldn't bring myself to do it.  So, I flew back - reloaded Zral and stumbled down the path of a miner who is genuinely keen to share what little he knows with others.  Shooting at rocks seems 'right' somehow where shooting at other players who may not have done me any wrong seems a little 'wrong'.  Now I need to point out here that this does NOT mean that I have an issue with people who do those things.  One of the great things about Eve is that it can and does reflect real life.  People make their living in different ways but we were all young once - we share a common heritage and the only issue may be that a one point our paths diverged to bring us to where we are now.

How does this compare with real life?  Well, my job involves helping people so my role as an Assistant Mining Manager fits in there.  Why do I feel so at home in Eve Uni?  Well, I have an interest in study and have recently completed a second degree.  It feels like home being in Uni :)  It just feels right.  In real life I REALLY cannot understand people who drop litter and in Eve I HAVE to salvage or destroy my wrecks. 

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I really did try to play something that I wasn't.  I really wanted to tread a different path.  But, try as I might, I just couldn't do it.  Zral is pretty much me - boring eh?  Who knows - in time maybe I'll break those bonds with personal propriety and head into lowsec to lock up someone for profit.  At the moment I sincerely doubt it though.

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment