EvE Online - a world, a home, amongst the stars. These are the voyages of an EvE 'noob' from day one. I hope we have an enjoyable trip...

Sunday 27 March 2011

Chance of Surviving an Encounter - 100%


I'm back - the last month has been a real roller coaster in EvE and what a ride!

It's only right to say at this stage that Zraltori is now an 'alt'.  My new main is currently drinking rum in a low-sec bar waiting to go out for a roam to see what's moving out in Placid.  Despite all my misgivings I've succeeded in passing an assessment covering the last four weeks which means that I've made it into what I feel is the best pirate corp in New Eden.  No names no pack drill yet.



Having gone into this process at the end of Feb with ZERO PvP experience I was not at all sure that I'd make it through.  To pass I would have to kill things - up to then things were killing me but I was struggling to return the favour.  I'd also have to earn quite a few million Isk in ransom.  D-Scan I thought was something which tuned a radio into your favourite channel.  It would be fair to say that when I first started I couldn't find a ferret in a small paper bag with a top of the range ferret-finder and a rabbit as back up.  BUT some weeks in and having learnt that it's all about where you position your scanning spots and then narrow it down I've actually begun to find ships.  This of course is a double edged sword as more ships mean more things to kill me.  That said I've managed to kill a Claw, Wolf and Kestrel on my own so far with my trusty Rifter.  I've nearly got what I'd think are reasonable enough skills to take out a Jag on a test flight which may increase my chances a little.  My ultimate aim is the fabled Hurricane - I love the look.

I've even dared to lead a corp roam in low sec.  On that occasion our scanners found an Iteron on a safe which we did try to ransom but the pilot refused all attempts to contact him both in his ship - and then his pod.  Shame really.  With my mates in the corp we've hunted and taken down a goodly number of ships.  Last night we managed to locate a Battleship which we did ransom for a reasonable amount.  I was disappointed that the poor pilot, having escaped us, then ran into a gate camp and lost his ship anyway.  I felt for him.  A bad night.

Another sideline I've started out on is a combat scanner to assist me to locate those who seek out safety in space.  He's into a covops now and is building skills.  So far he's great at finding ships in POS's and the voyeur in me enjoys watching those who don't know I'm there.  Eventually the aim is to use him to scan down targets approach with stealth and point whilst I warp in to engage.  Not yet though as I have no desire to lose two ships per engagement and, as my battleclinic signature tells you, if you engage me, you have a 100% chance of survival :)

Angular velocity?  Transversal?  All a mystery - tell me the faster I go the harder I am to hit - THAT I understand :) I do words not numbers so the maths game really does let me down.  That said I have to admit that I am loving small gang PvP.  Whilst I was in the ILN I just didn't get PvP at all.  I loved my mining operations and there was nothing nicer than sharing time with friends on the rocks.  Now I desire to be out on the hunt.  The adrenaline as you warp in to where you think a ship is is still intense and to find one is something else.  Then to engage and see its shields and armour dropping more quickly than yours - nothing better.  To point the pod?  unbeatable.  Ransom is also fun and most pilots appreciate a lyrical and polite approach.  It would really appear that it truly is a pirate's life for me - yarrr!

No comments:

Post a Comment